Yes, Dracula himself is an Irish creation (Irishman Bram Stoker created the modern image of the monster in his masterpiece novel), but there’s also a vampire that resides right smack in the middle of Ireland.
Dearg-due, an Irish name meaning “red blood sucker,” is a female demon that seduces men and then drains them of their blood.
According to the Celtic legend, an Irish woman who was known throughout the country for her beauty, fell in love with a local peasant, which was unacceptable to her father.
Dad forced her into an arranged marriage with a rich man who treated her terribly, and eventually she commit suicide.
She was buried near Strongbow’s Tree in Waterford, and one night, she rose from her grave to seek revenge on her father and husband, sucking their blood until they dropped dead.
Now known as Dearg-due, the vampire rises once a year, using her beauty to lure men to their deaths.
Not to worry, though – there is one way to defeat Dearg-due.
To prevent the undead from rising from the grave, simply build a pile of stones over her grave. No, it won’t kill her, but at least you’ll hold her off until next year!
- queenthranduil likes this
- goddessgrunge reblogged this from history-and-shit
- agoodshout reblogged this from history-and-shit
- redarro reblogged this from orlaoreo
- findingausernamefuckingsucks likes this
- luceroo-ashley reblogged this from orlaoreo
- super-neutrall reblogged this from adropoutandhisfallenangel
- adropoutandhisfallenangel reblogged this from alloftimeandspaceismydivision
- alloftimeandspaceismydivision reblogged this from turtlewithatardis
- heyimrudeacid reblogged this from orlaoreo
- turtlewithatardis reblogged this from orlaoreo
- falloutbuoy reblogged this from orlaoreo
- orlaoreo reblogged this from niamhroxursox
- always-inutile reblogged this from theantiquities
- theantiquities reblogged this from niamhroxursox
- niamhroxursox reblogged this from justkelslike
- niamhroxursox likes this
- justkelslike reblogged this from history-and-shit
- its-been-nice-existing reblogged this from history-and-shit
- text-block likes this
- jujuprince likes this
- howeverimprobable93 reblogged this from history-and-shit
- howeverimprobable93 likes this
- oilean-iathghlas-na-heireann reblogged this from history-and-shit
- demisa likes this
- demisa reblogged this from icenose
- icenose reblogged this from history-and-shit
- k-i-d-e-i reblogged this from herrbelial
- herrbelial reblogged this from history-and-shit
- fairyboy likes this
- solsticerunnr likes this
- i-am-shamrocked reblogged this from irish-history
- auutintug likes this
- cosmiccactus likes this
- attackingkarsen likes this
- nightinthewoods likes this
- lawrence-pierce reblogged this from countess-dracula
- jujuprince reblogged this from history-and-shit
- awkwardelf likes this
- marslovabledrollgeek reblogged this from maddy44
- marslovabledrollgeek likes this
- maddy44 reblogged this from novazembla
- ladyjakuzure reblogged this from normandy-actual
- rosamondvivian likes this
- ro-s-aspa-rks likes this
- curliestofcrowns reblogged this from novazembla
- thirdculturekid likes this
- earlhofert likes this
- liquidiousfleshbag likes this
- winkingstarsanddreambeings likes this